Jump to content

COVID-19. Copa Airlines: attempting to determine its optimal size


Recommended Posts

12-May-2020 10:44 AM


Panama’s Copa Holdings entered the crisis spurred by the COVID-19 pandemic in better shape than some of its peers in Latin America, but the company still faces challenging times. And as a result, Copa is joining airlines worldwide in attempting to build ample liquidity at the same time as contemplating its future size in a post pandemic world. 

Similarly to many other airlines, Copa could emerge from the crisis as a smaller company, and the airline is already taking steps in that direction by outlining its evaluation of whittling its fleet down to two types – Boeing 737-800s and the 737 MAX. 

In the short term, Copa is planning to restart operations on 1-Jun-2020, offering just a fraction of the capacity it had originally aimed to deploy during that period. The company aims to build back up slowly over the rest of 2020, but its operations will continue to be significantly reduced, year-on-year. 

Copa entered the COVID-19 crisis in solid shape, but is still building liquidity 


Copa ended 1Q2020 with cash, short term, and long term investments of USD1.13 billion, which was approximately 43% of the company’s trailing 12M revenues. Subsequently, Copa forged an unsecured credit facility with local banks totalling USD150 million, and the airline has also issued USD350 million in convertible senior notes. 

The company is also working on a revolving credit facility, which could yield between USD200 million and USD300 million in additional potential sources of liquidity. 

Copa is not seeking any financial assistance from Panama’s government. “I think the government has bigger issues to deal with,” company CEO Pedro Heilbron recently told analysts and investors.

“…We came in [the crisis] in a stronger position than others, and we’re taking the necessary measures, some very difficult, of course, to be able to survive this crisis and prosper in the future using our own means”, Mr Heilbron added. 

Many airlines worldwide are seeking financial support from their respective governments in order to ensure they can achieve the right level of liquidity as they attempt to stave off cash burn. 

Copa has calculated that under a scenario of zero revenue, it would burn USD85 million per month. Once the company restarts operations, cash burn will drop to approximately USD70 million per month for the remainder of 2020. 

Unsurprisingly, Copa takes a cautious approach as it restarts operations 


Copa ceased operating in late Mar-2020 after Panama's government banned all international operations. The airline uses Panama City Tocumen International airport as a major connecting point for north-south traffic flows between North America and South America, and also has a robust network in Central America. 

When the airline does resume operations on 1-Jun-2020, it will operate approximately 12% of the capacity it deployed during Jun-2019. The airline is taking a gradual approach to adding capacity for the rest of 2020 and, compared to the year prior, is planning to operate 40% of that capacity in Dec-2020. 

Copa has some flexibility if demand improves as 2020 progresses. The airline has an ability to add one or two aircraft worth of flying, and can take some aircraft out of temporary storage. 

“We will have enough flexibility to add or reduce capacity because this could go either way”, Mr Heilbron said. “We really don’t know.” He remarked that Copa’s planned growth for Jun-2020 was “in line with what we are seeing”. 

However, Copa’s management has stressed that the company intends only to schedule flights that can, at a minimum, cover variable expenses. 

Copa casts an eye towards further fleet simplification in a post COVID-19 world 


Copa is joining most airlines worldwide in attempting to determine the right size for the company as it moves past the COVID-19 crisis, and is examining opportunities for fleet simplification. 

Before the onset of the COVID-19 crisis, Copa was planning to sell its 14 Embraer 190s, and those plans remain intact.

The airline is now examining the potential sale of 14 737-700s. The airline believes it could use its remaining 737-800s for short haul operations and its MAX-9 jets, which feature lie-flat seats, for longer haul flights.

“I think they would be a good guess of…how we’re going to look like in a few years”, Mr Heilbron said.

Copa fleet summary, as of mid-May-2020copafleet.png

Source: CAPA Fleet Database.

Copa is also holding discussions with Boeing about compensation for the grounding of the MAX and the timing of future deliveries of the next generation aircraft. The airline has six MAX 9 jets grounded, and was originally supposed to take delivery of seven additional jets in 2019. CAPA’s fleet database shows that Copa has 35 MAX 9 aircraft on order and 15 orders for the -10 model. 

There is little doubt that Copa aims to push back some MAX deliveries as it works to reach a compensation agreement with Boeing. For now, the company states that it is simply working with Boeing to create a delivery stream that reflects the post-crisis reality. However, it is an unknown, but also possible, that Copa will ultimately opt to cancel some orders for the aircraft. 

Recently Brazil’s largest airline, GOL, reached a deal with the airframer to cancel 34 of its 737 MAX orders, which will reduce the total number of MAX aircraft in GOL's order book from 129 to 95, split between 73 of the -8 model and 22 of the -10. 

Copa remains in a strong position to weather the COVID-19 crisis 


There are few certainties for airlines attempting to create an optimal size for a post COVID-19 world, where it could take anywhere from two to five years for demand to return to 2019 levels. 

Before the crisis, Copa was projecting an operating margin of 16% to 20% for 2020.

Although those forecasts are now a distant memory, Copa is in a solid position to weather the crisis, at the same time as facing the reality that it will take some time for whatever the new normal may be for the aviation industry to be evident, once the pandemic subsides. 

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/reports/covid-19-copa-airlines-attempting-to-determine-its-optimal-size-524195

Link to post
Share on other sites

Acho errado esse approach de frota unica. 


Em um momento como esse, flexibilidade deveria ser a medida a ser seguida - nem todo mercado vai encher o B738, e o que você faz ? Corta frequências semanais ao invés de usar uma aeronave menor ? Isso afeta a capilaridade da malha - corta um voo que tinha 150 pax pois agora só tem 80, mas esses 80, iriam conectar nos outros serviços. 

Espiral Grega....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LipeGIG said:

Acho errado esse approach de frota unica. 


Em um momento como esse, flexibilidade deveria ser a medida a ser seguida - nem todo mercado vai encher o B738, e o que você faz ? Corta frequências semanais ao invés de usar uma aeronave menor ? Isso afeta a capilaridade da malha - corta um voo que tinha 150 pax pois agora só tem 80, mas esses 80, iriam conectar nos outros serviços. 

Espiral Grega....

Azul tem feito isso até com Caravan agora, destinos fortes no interior que tinham 3x diários de ATR agora tem 3 de C208, se lotar os 3 volta com 1 diário de ATR por exemplo.

flexibilidade no doméstico vai de 9, 70, 106, 118,  136, 174, 214 pax

Link to post
Share on other sites

o que mais me chamou a atenção foi que tiraram o nome "max" do 737-9 ....

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JumpWrightHigh said:

A Azul chegou a alocar as aeronaves da TwoFlex na malha?

Já estão voando VCP-JTC e VCP-ARU

Link to post
Share on other sites

Os 700s da CM têm 16 a 20 anos, já iriam ser substituídos por MAX, assim como os 190s que têm 11-14 anos. Tirando 2 700s, todos são próprios e já estão pagos. Os 190,  ela já tinha colocado à venda antes do Covid, o problema é achar interessados.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheJoker said:

Os 700s da CM têm 16 a 20 anos, já iriam ser substituídos por MAX, assim como os 190s que têm 11-14 anos. Tirando 2 700s, todos são próprios e já estão pagos. Os 190,  ela já tinha colocado à venda antes do Covid, o problema é achar interessados.

Pois é, TJ, mas no momento atual o melhor é deixar eles voando para mercados que por um tempo não vão suportar voos de B737. 
E o que fazer com mercados como Manaus operados pelo EJet ? Fechar ? Acho que reduzir frequência para usar Boeing não tende a ser inteligente. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Uptrim said:

Já estão voando VCP-JTC e VCP-ARU

Interessante. Fico imaginando até que ponto uma rota satisfaz a companhia aérea a ponto de fazer o downgrade do AT72 para o C208. É uma redução de quase 90% na oferta de assentos. Mesmo que fosse feita a proporcionalidade de oferta de assentos por voo, teria de ser ao menos 8 voos no dia de C208 para substituir 1 voo de ATR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JumpWrightHigh said:

Interessante. Fico imaginando até que ponto uma rota satisfaz a companhia aérea a ponto de fazer o downgrade do AT72 para o C208. É uma redução de quase 90% na oferta de assentos. Mesmo que fosse feita a proporcionalidade de oferta de assentos por voo, teria de ser ao menos 8 voos no dia de C208 para substituir 1 voo de ATR.

Mas essa redução de demanda na ordem de 90% é o que tem se observado no geral, se conseguirem manter o mercado atendido e com conectividade pro resto do Brasil pode ser sim interessante pra testar a demanda. Estando os voos sempre lotados pode-se pensar em colocar o ATR de volta 1x dia.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Uptrim said:

Mas essa redução de demanda na ordem de 90% é o que tem se observado no geral, se conseguirem manter o mercado atendido e com conectividade pro resto do Brasil pode ser sim interessante pra testar a demanda. Estando os voos sempre lotados pode-se pensar em colocar o ATR de volta 1x dia.

Vai ter muita observação de demanda pelos próximos meses, e quem tem avião menor penso que vai ter alguma vantagem, podendo começar com um Caravan e terminar num ATR ou 195. Pode ser uma boa estratégia

Link to post
Share on other sites

O que achei impressionante é eles não precisarem do dinheiro do governo local e o presidente falar que o governo poderia usar o dinheiro com outras empresas que mais precisem, todas estão dando o rim em troca desse dinheiro público 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uptrim said:

Mas essa redução de demanda na ordem de 90% é o que tem se observado no geral, se conseguirem manter o mercado atendido e com conectividade pro resto do Brasil pode ser sim interessante pra testar a demanda. Estando os voos sempre lotados pode-se pensar em colocar o ATR de volta 1x dia.

Sim, eu entendi. Foi só um pensamento calculista que tive quando você disse:

7 hours ago, Uptrim said:

destinos fortes no interior que tinham 3x diários de ATR agora tem 3 de C208, se lotar os 3 volta com 1 diário de ATR por exemplo.

Porque tipo... Ainda assim, 3 diários de C208 ainda nem dá 1/2 ATR :lol:

Mas eu entendi o raciocínio da questão de pluralidade da frota.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Luckert said:

O que achei impressionante é eles não precisarem do dinheiro do governo local e o presidente falar que o governo poderia usar o dinheiro com outras empresas que mais precisem, todas estão dando o rim em troca desse dinheiro público 

Para uma empresa do tamanho da Copa, USD 1,3 bi em caixa é MUITO dinheiro, e o que falar de uma empresa que bateu 20% de rentabilidade em alguns momentos e, quando a margem caiu para um dígito, reestruturou suas operações, principalmente aqui?!

Ironicamente ela é majoritariamente estatal, mas com gestão técnica.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, A345_Leadership said:

Para uma empresa do tamanho da Copa, USD 1,3 bi em caixa é MUITO dinheiro, e o que falar de uma empresa que bateu 20% de rentabilidade em alguns momentos e, quando a margem caiu para um dígito, reestruturou suas operações, principalmente aqui?!

Ironicamente ela é majoritariamente estatal, mas com gestão técnica.

Tem como sócio o governo? Como majoritariamente estatal ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Luckert said:

Tem como sócio o governo? Como majoritariamente estatal ?

Quem controla, tem 100% das ações com direito a voto é a CIASA (Construtora das famílias +ricas do Panamá (Heilbron e Motta, CEO e vice respectivamente), isso representa +/-26% do capital.

Relatório 2019 (pag 60)  https://copa.gcs-web.com/static-files/228aac2f-ef8b-4294-a28a-7025876defa4

O resto são acionistas privados, os principais estão listados  https://www.marketscreener.com/COPA-HOLDINGS-S-A-12153/company/

 

Edited by TheJoker
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Então não é „ majoritariamente estatal“ como citado???? 
 

De qualquer forma se eles conseguem ficar sem dar o rim agora aos governos, estarão muito mais fortes depois quando retomarem as operações sem dívidas extras oriundas do Covid19 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Luckert said:

Então não é „ majoritariamente estatal“ como citado???? 

Tomei como uma base um dado que eu tinha e achava que não tinha sido vendida a parte do governo, pois não lembro de ter visto notícias sobre a venda.

Agradeço ao The Joker pela atualização.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, A345_Leadership said:

Tomei como uma base um dado que eu tinha e achava que não tinha sido vendida a parte do governo, pois não lembro de ter visto notícias sobre a venda.

Agradeço ao The Joker pela atualização.

Perfeito,ambos  deixaram agora tudo bem claro 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Saiba os termos, regras e políticas de privacidade