Sama To Cease Operations

-Marcelo-

Recebido por e-mail, so repassando.

(Tambem tem em Arabe, mas acho que ninguem aqui ia se interessar em ler hehehhehee)

A noticia ja saiu na Bloomberg (copiado do Airliners.net http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/g....main/4906746/)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-22/s...llion-loss.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Letter from the CEO

Dear Fellow Sama Employee:

It is with regret that I inform you that we are planning to temporarily cease flying operations as of Tuesday, 24th August 2010.

We will continue to operate and carry passengers through Monday night as normal, and will have an orderly wrap-up after the final flight arrives.

We are making provisions to accommodate passengers who have purchased tickets for future travel in order to minimize disruption to the extent possible.

Although this is not a path we wish to take, we have exhausted all other possibilities, and this is the only path left to us.

As you know, for many months we have been working on our plan to acquire new generation aircraft and to grow into a sustainable size airline with proper economies of scale, and we found broad-based market support. However, in order for that plan to take effect we require additional funds, which have not yet materialized. We will be working over the coming days to obtain these funds at which time we will restart flying operations.

We had been awaiting a significant aviation relief package with respect to fuel subsidies, subsidies for PSO routes, a gradual lifting of domestic fare caps, and additional loans to support the growth of our business. In addition, we sought for, and found, more than one potential new equity investor willing to inject cash into the business. Unfortunately, none of these alternatives came together in the required timeframe.

Sama, and all other airlines throughout the region, experienced very low fares and somewhat slow demand for regional travel during the winter season (October 2009 through March 2010). Although revenues were up sharply during the summer peak season, it has not been enough to offset the heavy losses we suffered during the winter.

It is very frustrating to me, and I am sure to you as well, that all the work we have put in to run a safe, on-time operation has not yet produced the results that we wanted. This is not due to your efforts, and I want to thank you for all the efforts you have made to make Sama a great airline.

I am sure you have many questions about what this means for your employment. Please be assured that we are continuing to work on all possible ways to quickly restart operations on a firm foundation. In the next few days, we will communicate to you the steps we will be taking going forward. For now, let’s put the welfare of our customers first and make sure they are given the best possible treatment. I will have more important updates for you tomorrow and Tuesday.

Bruce Ashby

Archived