Two Delta jets collide on Logan airport taxiway

Baron

Hundreds of passengers had to be evacuated from two Delta jets after they collided on a taxiway at Logan International Airport tonight while they were readying for takeoff, a Massport official tells the Herald.

The wing of a large passenger jet, a Delta 767, apparently clipped the tail section of a smaller “regional” Comair jet, operated by Delta, that sustained major damage to the tail fin. The collision occurred just after 7:30 p.m.

A passenger aboard the larger Amsterdam-bound jet, Jacob Crane, 30 of Atlanta, said he watched his plane’s wing run into the other plane’s tail ... but wasn’t overly alarmed by the experience.

“I saw it coming. We were taxiing pretty quick. I saw the wing and I said we’re not going to clear that. It was like oh, they hit, and that was that.

“It was generally pretty calm but there were some people ... a Russian guy was grabbing for the emergency exit,” Crane said. “But it was like no big deal. Nobody was hurt. There was a girl next to me that started crying and bawling but everybody else was pretty calm.”

Jay Copan, 59, who was heading home on the smaller Raleigh, N.C.-bound plane, said, “I was half asleep, next thing you know there was a bang.

“We all wondered what happened. Next thing you know, the pilot came on and said we’ve been clipped by the plane behind us. It woke me up. It wasn’t that strong, but it was odd. Some people thought we’d run off the runway.”

No serious injuries were immediately reported, but Logan spokesman Phil Orlandella said one person is complaining of neck pain.

The Delta 767 jet returned to the terminal to unload its passengers, while the Comair passengers were bused back to the terminal.

UPDATE: Delta released this statement tonight ...

"While taxiing out for departure, the wing from Flight 266 from Boston to Amsterdam made contact with the vertical stabilizer of ASA Flight 4904, also on departure from Boston to Raleigh-Durham. Flight 266 returned to the gate and passengers deplaned without incident. Passengers on ASA Flight 4904 deplaned and were transported by bus to the terminal. Both aircraft have been removed from service for inspections and passengers are currently being reacommodated on other aircraft."

Joe Dwinell contributed to this report.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1351863&pos=breaking

Isso ja está ficando tão comum que é capaz de começarem a instalar semáforos ao lado das taxiways, aquelas faixas de PARE e placas de "dê preferência".

Será que é possível trocar o estabilizador vertical deste avião?

Aliás, será que vale a pena tentar trocá-lo?

o estrago não parece ter sido pequeno não, ele foi praticamente arrancado.

Archived